lunes, 6 de agosto de 2007

WE WERE LATE TO CHURCH....

We were late to church on Sunday, but we were the first ones there.

One of the things I love about the African church is how laid back it is. Although the service was to start at 9:00am (we arrived at around 9:25), people began to arrive in earnest at around10:15. I love it!

In this small protestant (Methodist) church, people still wear their Sunday best so all my aunties and the other women there wore their eye brow raising hats and wonderful African traditional clothes and head dresses.


The singing was beautiful, the worship seemed so pure that I did not miss any of the bells and whistles that sometimes adorn the Mid-Western church services today. No power point presentations, no expensive choir robes, no glossy bulletin, no state of the art sound system and no band with contemporary rock riffs, just church....Oh-oh, I am starting to sound old and moldy. Ooooh, did I mention the endless dancing in the isles...Hallelujah!

One of my aunties (auntie Ola) celebrated her first cancer free year today and the service was dedicated to her. Her whole family came to support her and we gathered at her house after church today for a huge traditional luncheon that was more like a starved fatso's food paradise.

No hay comentarios: